29th August: After getting discharged on 25th August, Gaurav was re-hospitalized for two days due to a freak fever on 27th. Doctors did the bone marrow & lumber puncture (LP) test on 29th to check and confirm if the bone marrow and cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) were free of cancer cells (remission). They also took the opportunity to inject his spinal cord with chemo drugs. This procedure is called triple intrathecal.
3rd September: We waited patiently with a hope to get the results of marrow and LP test results till the morning. Unfortunately, after two such painful rounds of tests, the results aren’t still very encouraging. Bone marrow is diluted and hence inconclusive and CSF still has cancer cells. Hence they gave one more triple intrathecal LP today. They now plan to do both tests on 7th September to find out new status.
On the donor front, the potential 9/10 donor we had is still not finalized by NMDP. It remains a mystery as to why it’s taking weeks to confirm his final status. Hence doctors here have started yet another search to find another potential donor. We wait as precious time slips out of hand. So net – net we are still not ready for the decisive battle (bone marrow transplant). Lets pray that things fall in place at the right time.
Thanks for keeping Gaurav in your prayers.